Friday, September 6, 2013

What I'm Working on Wednesday...on Friday.

Welcome to the first WIWOW! Hmmm...WIWOW?

Each week I want to share a few pictures from the different projects I have going. Since there are usually a variety of things, I hope that this will be a nice way to gather them together and chat about them. Normally these posts will go up on Wednesday but I didn't want to wait another week before I get a chance to kick this off. No time like the present, right?

This week I have a few things going. A few weeks ago I challenged myslef to knit my first pair of socks. Well, a month later I have one done! Now, to be fair, the length of time had nothing to do with the pattern. I am working up Hermione's Everyday Socks and it's a great pattern, even for someone who hasn't ever made a sock before. It has enough of a variety in the stitch pattern to keep it interesting but isn't so detailed that I can't keep up with the actual sock construction. But my own nervousness stopped me from just diving in after I finished the cuff and leg. The idea of the Heel turn and gusset had be terrified! But it was unfounded, even if the heel turn pattern sounded incredibly complicated (Slightly Modified Garter Edged Eye of Partridge Heel). Thanks to You Tube I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought it was, and zoomed right through it. Then I got a little nervous about the instep. What if I didn't make it the right length??? But a couple of measurements and a few more checks online reassured me I was on the right track. Once I got to the toe decreases I couldn't stop and finally finished the sock at 3am! And yes, I had to work the next morning! I was a tired lady, but soooo happy because my sock fit beautifully!

Now I'm working on the second sock. I started it a few days ago and have finished the cuff and have started the leg. It's going well, and I am sure I will have the second sock done in much less time. :) I hope, anyway! I am itching to wear them around the house, especially as there is a slight shift in the weather and we have had a few days in the high 70's, rather than around 90* like it was the week prior.

I am also working on a dishcloth. I joined the Knitters Brewing Company group on Ravelry and decided to play along in the NFL Knitting Contest. Really, it was the entry "fee" that made me decide to join...everyone has to contribute one knit/crochet dishcloth. Isn't that fun? Much to my husbands amusement, I am now signed up on UPickEm and picked my winners for the first week. He helped me, I can't lie. I don't know much about football and even less about the teams so he was a champ and helped me through it. I didn't have much time to work on my cloth until yesterday, and since Abby has a long session at the dance studio on Thursdays, it gave me a chance to get some work done.

This pattern is called eLoomanator's Diagonal Knit Dishcloth and is a free pattern on Ravelry. I love the traditional Grandmother's Favorite pattern because I think they scrub really well, but wanted something a bit more fancy for this. This is a bit more complicated which is fun for me to knit, but I think will still be very utilitarian. I'm using some Lily cotton which is leftover from a previous dishcloth. I like the pattern, but somehow I seem to have more open holes than I see in the project photos. I also seem to have the wrong number of stitches after the center pattern...I am supposed to knit the last 10 stitches but I seem to end up with 11. I can't quite figure it out, so I may have to frog it and try again.

Lastly, some crafty things that have caught my attention:

  • I have discovered a love of Podcasts! So far I am hooked on yarn craft podcasts, both audio and visual. Some I have been listening to are Yarncraft by Lion Brand, Yarn on Tap, Must Stash, Knitmore Girls, Stitched Together, and Knitting Pipeline. It's something different to listen to while I am driving to work, or while I am working on my own yarn projects at home. Can't wait to add more as I learn about who is out there!
  • I just ordered a Ball Winder and Yarn Swift! Knit Picks was running a good sale on both for Labor Day so I took the plunge! Hopefully it will be helpful as I learn more about spinning, and will be helpful with the skeins I have recently dyed and some skeins I have my eye on. :)
  • I have these "Fightin' Words" fingerless mitts saved in my Ravelry queue. I can't wait to work on those soon so I can wear them for the fall & winter vents at work. I've been digging through my boxes of stash to see what my grandmother had saved that would be useful. I am sure I can find a good color combination without having to buy even more yarn! lol

Follow me on Bloglovin' to stay updated on what's happening here in the nest!
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. My goodness you are busy. I love your sock and hope number two is coming along nicely. How fun to join the Ravelry Group, i am not so good on Ravelry, I just put patterns into my library and that is about it. I need to get moving on some new projects.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete