Monday, July 9, 2012

Our 4th of July celebration

As I mentioned in my last post, things have been very crazy at work. Working lots of hours and handling lots of guests. For anyone who thinks a museum is a dull place, let me tell you, no way! :)
Since I would be working on the 4th, we decided to take a family trip to see the Detroit Symphony Orchestra play at the Salute to America concert in Greenfield Village. The weather was a bit iffy throughout the day, hot and threatening rain. But we went anyway, and thankfully, after a couple of early showers the sky cleared up and we had a lovely evening.


Some clouds behind the stage...a few rumbles of thunder and two showers, but then all was good!
The preshow featured the First Michigan Fife and Drum Corps and the River Raisin Ragtime Revue.


We had to go and check out the vintage canons that would be used later that night during the "1812 Overture"!

A nice couple was happy to take a family picture for us!


Happy girl!


Toothy grin!


Light up toys - perfect as the sun goes down!


An amazing performance of "The Lincoln Portrait" - so moving!


The Detroit Symphony Orchestra performing selections by John Williams: Imperial March, Raiders March, and Supermans March, among other more traditional patriotic pieces.

The concert concluded with the "1812 Overture", complete with canon fire, and then the fireworks began. I wish I had taken some pictures, but my son had decided to sit on my lap as they went off and I just couldn't bear to shift him so I could use my camera. But let me tell you, it was amazing! Watching the fireworks overhead as a world class symphony performs Sousa marches...divine! THAT is the way to celebrate the fourth, with family at your side and great music causing a few thousand of your fellow citizens to swell with pride.

So to all my fellow Americans, I hope you had a wonderful fourth as well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment