Thursday, July 12, 2012

Travel Chalkboard Book


Today I was at Michaels to look for just one colored pencil and got sucked into their Dollar section. :) Among a few other things, I found a plain square board book. I thought it would make a great chalkboard book for my children to use in the car. We have a road trip coming up, and I'm always looking for ways to entertain the kids so we don't all go crazy in the car! :)


Supplies needed:
Board Book
Chalkboard Paint
Sealer (I used Golden Semi-gloss Gel)
Sharpie Paint Pen
Ruler


First, I painted a layer of Semi-gloss gel (I used this because I couldn't find my Mod Podge) to make the boad a bit more waterproof if we had to wipe off the chalk with a damp towel. Looking back, I'm not sure it was entirely necessary, but I wasn't sure how waterproof the paint would be.


After it dried, I painted two layers of chalkboard paint on the board. Simple enough!


After that, I decided to add a few fun games for the kids. Using a white Sharpie paint pen, I Tic-Tac-Toe squares, a blank head outline to draw silly faces, and with a ruler created a grid for a game of Dots.


The little one couldn't wait to play with it. Hopefully it will be as big a hit on the road trip! :)


Have a great day!







No comments:

Post a Comment