Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pinhole Card

Today I wanted to share a simple card. It's called a "Pinhole Card" and creates a pattern by poking holes into the cardstock. For this card, I decided to use a heart pattern, inspired by some images I saw on Pinterest and Google. Once I created the base card using Gina K white cardstock, I lightly sketched a small heart and a larger heart on the inside of the card as my guidelines. Then, using a simple sewing pin, I outlined the smaller heart with closely spaced pin holes and gradually extended the spacing so the heart faded out at the edges. Because I poked my holes from the inside the of card, it created a raised surface on the front of the card - I really love the look!



On the front I simply wrote "i love you" with a black pen. I am trying to practise more hand lettering and would like to incorporate it more into my cards. My basic handwriting isn't very impressive, more function than form to be honest, but I've always wanted to be good at calligraphy. Some days my handwriting is better than others, do you notice that as well?

Well, I hope you enjoyed the card! It was such a treat to have some real crafting time, even for a card as simple as this. Having my supplies spread around me on the table and just working was great. Things have been so busy lately that my crafting time has been really limited. I'm sure so many others can easily relate! lol

Have a wonderful day! We're expecting close to 90 degrees today, so I've been coaxing the last of the cool morning air inside before I button everything up to keep the house cool. It's on days like these that I long for central air...but I do love my radiators in the winter (when they work properly). Maybe I will be able to get a few other cards done...forget housework! lol

This card has been submitted for the CAS-ual Friday challenge: Using Polka Dots. I'm a first timer! lol

CFC56

And for the Black & White Challenge at Stamp N Plus! I'm a first timer here too! :)

16 comments:

  1. Your card is beautiful, Melanie! So elegant! Your hand-written sentiment is the perfect addition!
    My husband doesn't understand why I always get so many compliments on my blog about my hand writing! All he ever sees of it these days is my hastily scrawled grocery list...not my best work! lol
    We've got a cold and very wet day here today! If I turn the furnace on we might get close to 90! haha
    Have a great day!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be happy to send a few degrees your way! :)

      Delete
  2. What an amazing card! I like the less is more quality of the card. Thank you for sharing the pin hole technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pin pricks. It's beautiful and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am staring at this card in awe. It is amazing! The detail of the pin pricks is incredible and your handwriting is truly lovely! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great idea and a great card!Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic effect those pierced holes are...... Sunning card!!!
    Seriously amazing handwriting too...... Love your card :0)
    Thanks for getting crafty with us at CASual Fridays :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Genius! I love it! So striking with the white and just the texture of the pin holed heart :) Thanks for playing this week at CAS-ual Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for joining the Stamp N Plus B&W challenge. This card is unique and stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this technique. You've done an amazing job on the design and the piercing. Your handwritten sentiment looks great... very artsy. Thanks for joining our Black and White challenge at Stamp N Plus. I hope we get to see more of your work in future challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your card very much, Melanie. You know what? I didn't notice that you pocked holes with sewing pin and did handwriting for sentiment until how you worked to create this card. It's amazing job! Seriously how long did it take to finish tons of holes by your hands? Also the handwritten sentiment? I was thinking where I could get this message stamp. I'm not kidding. You inspired me a lot. Thanks, I probably I'll try it out your card in my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words! It actually went faster than I thought it would...I think sketching out a basic shape to follow was a big help. There are some very beautiful and detailed pinhole art online that were very inspirational. I hope you have fun with it! :)

      Delete
  11. wow- you hand written this... i truley thought it was a stamp!! great job! Thanks for playing with us over at stampnplus.. hope to see you for next months challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melanie, this is just so stunning that I can't believe my eyes. Beautiful! Thank you for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays this week!! Have a great weekend! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, so elegant!! Love your technique with the pin holes simply gorgeous! Thanks for sharing with us at Stamp N Plus black and white challenge!
    Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so cool. I am a Michigan girl too. Near Grand Rapids. Fabulous card. Thanks for joining us at Stamp N Plus.

    ReplyDelete