Thursday, September 15, 2011

Can I breathe yet???

I have been trying to sit down and write a post for days. But so much has been happening that it's just a whirl. :) Nothing you haven't experienced for yourself I'm sure! But now, the day is done, the kids are in bed and I have a few moments of silence & a purring kitty on my lap to sit and write a few words.
Firstly: Working, working, working. Nothing new there, I'll spare you the details. I have done a bit of crafting also, but will post about that hopefully tomorrow.
After work on Labor Day, my parents invited us over for a BBQ. YUM! Chicken, ribs, corn, salads, veggies, all the usual delicious fixins. I brought desert in the form of two pencil shaped cakes. It was just a simple boxed caked but in half after it was baked and the end trimmed into a point. Then you can see, nothing very fancy, but it did taste yummy! :) You can see that the kids are in warmer clothes...we got a bit of a cooling down so it was a bit chilly that day! Fall already?

On Tuesday my son started 1st grade...goodness how is that possible??? He was so very excited to meet his teacher, see his friends from last year and make new friends.
The PTO members held a Boohoo Yahoo breakfast for the Kindergarten parents and after the kids were all dropped off in their classes had a nice gathering in the library. It amazes me how my customer service trianing comes in handy all the time, especially when I have to talk to complete strangers, which I actually hate to do. But it all went well (AV glitches aside).
Fast forward through a week of school, work, soccer practise, karate, & art of dance classes for my daughter and then the first soccer game of the season for my son. It was a miserable rainy morning for the game, and he was drenched but loved it. At least it wasn't cold, but I learned that we have a few layering items to pick up tomorrow for this Saturdays game. And to bring a towel! lol His team won and he was so happy!

Sunday was the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. To this day I can't talk or watch footage about it without crying. I wasn't in New York or Washington DC at the time, I was living in Charleston, SC. I was driving to work on a beautiful Tuesday morning when the news came over the radio. And that was when our world changed. I watched the speeches and dedication broadcasted live from New York and by the end of it I was so emotionally tired. I had planned to go to the ceremony being held at The Henry Ford Museum later that day, but I just couldn't. I just wanted some peace at home with my family.

This past Tuesday my daughter started Preschool. She was so excited! She wore a little yellow vintage dress I found on Etsy and brand new mary janes after I realized that she didnt have any dressy shoes that fit! I didn't think the purple/pink crocs or sparkly tennis shoes would go with the Thank goodness Target opens at 8am, so we went as soon as we dropped her brother off at school. Once we got to preschool and she hung up her bag, she settled right in to her table and, smiling all around, started playing with her Playdough. She looked up at me, still smiling, and asked "Are you going yet Mommy?" LOL She was all set and very confident that this was going to be a great day. So after a couple of hugs & kisses for me off to work I went. When I picked her up at the end of the day she was smiling just as blissfully and told me all about her wonderful day.

Today she was back at school and since I had the day off, it was the first time ever that I had a few daytime hours alone without the kids being with my husband or with a family member. They were both in school! Then the frantic thought, what is pressing that needs to be done without kids around??? A nap came to mind (hee hee) but perhaps next time. Instead I scrubbed the kitchen floor and looked over the marble topped cabinet I brought home from the thrift store a while ago. I pulled out the old peeling faux grain contact paper but didn't have time for more than that. There is some old paint inside, but I think I can strip it off. I'm still debating painting it, but I really want the marble top to stand out, so I may just restain or wax the wood instead. What do you think?
I have tomorrow off also, and will have the full day home with my daughter. I do love those moments...the peaceful one-on-one time with my kids.
How has your week been?

No comments:

Post a Comment