Thursday, March 15, 2012

Beware the Ides of March...

...so the saying goes.

Earlier this evening, southeast Michigan was hit by a pretty big storm, which produced some tornadoes. Tornadoes aren't uncommon here in Michigan, we all grow up having tornado drills in school, knowing which parts of our homes are safest, etc. But I think this storm caught attention because it's still a bit early in the year for tornadoes. Tornado season doesn't officially start until April. But today, we were reminded that Mother Nature follows her own schedule, her own rules. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, with such a mild winter, spring was bound to come early.

This little clip shows the damage that one neighborhood had in Dexter earlier this evening, which is a little more than 30 miles west of my town. I've heard that it was hit by an EF2 tornado, which typically had winds of 111-135 mph.


Right now, it sounds like there were no serious injuries or deaths due to the tornadoes, thank goodness! The worst part of the storm ended up heading south of my town, which was lucky for us, but there was some damage to other areas when the storm passed through. At least 6 other confirmed funnel clouds, some with touchdowns, as the storm headed through Monroe county to the southeast of us. We've ended up with a pretty long thunderstorm - in fact it's still thundering and lightning after 4 hours. But it could definitely have been worse.

My thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by the storm. I hope the damage is repaired as soon as possible. Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment